2017-2018 Academic Catalog w/Addendum

Transferring Credit to MCC from Other Institutions

If a student plans to complete a degree or certificate with applicable transfer credit, an official transcript must be sent to the College.



This guideline applies to the state system of community colleges.


Designates the requirements for transferring credits to a Colorado Community College System (CCCS) College.  This procedure also addresses the transfer appeals process.


The transfer of academic credit to the college is governed by the following policies and procedures:
  • Courses accepted in transfer MUST match the content and meet or exceed the rigor of the accepting institution as determined by the professional judgment of the transfer evaluator or department chair.
  • Transfer credit is accepted as specified by legislated and Colorado Community College System (CCCS) articulation agreements.
  • The college may examine credits to ensure that the content is not outdated or obsolete. Please note that some courses that are more than 10 years old may not be transferable. In addition, courses must be no more than 7 years old for some health programs (please check with the department).
  • Courses will be evaluated against the Colorado Community College Common Course Numbering System (CCCNS).
  • The official transcript will include courses taken at the institution and those transfer credits requested by the student.
  • Courses will be transcripted with CCCNS course number, title, prefix and the number of credits awarded by the transferring institution.
  • Grades for transfer courses will be recorded in Banner and show on the official transcript.
  • Prerequisite courses below the 100 level will not be accepted in transfer and will not appear on the transcript, but will be noted in the student's record.
  • A grade of "C" or higher, "P", "S" or better is required for transfer. Transfer credit will not be awarded for courses with "D", "F" or "U" grades. Individual colleges may choose to grant an exception to this rule and accept transfer courses with a grade of "D" on a case-by-case basis. Additionally, some schools only accept a "P" or "S" grade if it is shown to be equivalent to a grade of "C" or better.
  • Credits earned at the home institution with a grade of "D" may be applicable to a degree or certificate as determined by the program.
  • There is no limit to the number of credits that may be transferred.  However, 45 transfer credits is the maximum number of credits that can be applied towards a degree.  A minimum of 25% of the credits applied to a degree or certificate must be earned at the home institution.
  • Upper level courses can be accepted in transfer IF the course can be equated to a course in CCCNS.
  • Elective courses that do not equate to a CCCNS course will be listed with the appropriate prefix, numbered as 999 and include "Elective" with a colon and then an entry to describe the course content. If no appropriate prefix is included in the CCCNS then the elective course will be given either the prefix TRN for Transfer Elective or CTE for CTE (Career and Technical Education) Elective. The course number will be 999 and the title will include a colon and an entry to describe the course content.
  • Credit for prior learning, standardized tests and portfolio credits will be accepted as determined by the CCCS Guide to Credit for Prior Learning.
  • Transfer courses that have the Guaranteed Transfer (GT) designation will be noted as GT courses. If the course is not present in the CCCNS then it will be transcripted with the prefix GTP for GT-Pathways, the applicable GTP course number, and the course title that matches the GT designation, eg., CO1, AH3, MA1, etc.
  • Transfer credits will be awarded as governed by CCHE (Colorado Commission on Higher Education) and State Board policies and System President Procedures.
  • Quarter hours and other non-standard credit hours that are accepted in transfer will be converted into semester credit hours.


Consistent with the requirements of the Colorado Commission on Higher Education, CCCS Colleges have established a Transfer Appeals Process.  Based upon the initial transcript evaluation of transfer credits completed, a student may appeal:
  1. A decision regarding the transferability of a specific course(s);
  2. A decision regarding the placement of a specific course(s); or
  3. The college's failure to provide a transcript evaluation within the designated 30-day calendar period.

Further information and a detailed list of transfer and appeal guidelines can be found in the established appeal process.

 -Approved by CCCS Education Services Council 

(ES 9-82 effective Fall 2013 Rev. Summer 2013)


CCCS Student Transfer Appeals policy (approved June 2, 2005) can be found at:


Foreign Transcripts

Transcripts from colleges and universities outside the United States must first be evaluated course-by-course by an approved evaluation service. Approved evaluation services can be found at: http://www.naces.org/members.htm.

Transcripts must then be sent to MCC directly from the evaluation services. MCC will then determine the award of credit applicable to the degree or certificate you plan to pursue. You will receive notification when the results are available for you to review.

Powered by SmartCatalog IQ